Five tricks to accelerate decision-making in Excel
In a world of information overload, it’s critically important for an executive to sift through heaps of data to find the few golden nuggets of meaningful insight. Here are a few tips to help the busy executive achieve this using Microsoft Excel.
- Spot trends fast: In most cases, it’s the trend that counts – not the heap of numbers. Transform an entire column of data into a single cell using Sparklines (Select cells > Insert > Sparklines)
- A picture is worth a thousand words: Instantly chart a mass of data by selecting the cells and hitting F11
- See it coming: Tell the future fast with Linear Forecasting (Select chart > Layout > Trend Line > Linear Forecast)
- Analysis at a glance: Get an instant view of what’s working and what’s not by selecting cells and hitting conditional formatting
- Don’t look at more than you need to: Siphon required information from a pivot table speedily by using Slicer (Insert > Slicer)